Sunday 4 December 2011

See you soon Meeeerriiccca

So a couple of months ago I noticed the container of dishwashing liquid in my kitchen was being used up at a similar rate to my time left in Iceland (apologies to my flatmates for not using much of that). The 2cm of liquid remaining represents my last 9 days here. I’m still waiting on the Katla eruption that’s been in the news a lot recently, although if it goes now, I probably wouldn’t be making it to America anytime soon! I’m also running out of time to get to the north, and with temperatures frequently below -10 I may have missed my chance.

The snow has set in and it is like nothing that my rare winter holidays at Hanmer Springs could prepare me for. Where Dunedin grinds to a halt, the people of Reykjavik act like nothing has changed (maybe the just put on an extra coat or 5). There is maybe 25cm of snow on the ground, the big pond has frozen over, and I am feeling a lot better about the purchase of my new shoes a week or two ago. For all of you living it up in the summer sun, I ENVY YOU. I would give a lot for an outdoor barbeque and a fat steak of prime New Zealand beef, all while wearing a singlet, stubbies, jandals and developing some nasty tan lines. -9 degrees is my new personal coldest temperature! (my fingers and nose were on the verge of dropping off)








My first and last exam is this Wednesday. As usual, the “Jack Ensor” study routine is in full cry. Many arduous late nights of movie and computer game procrastination in the department have me primed to begin working in the next day or two.

Last weekend our hiking group went on a day trip to the geothermal valley of Reykjadalur. The scenery was incredible and the hike through the snow covered mountains to get to the hot rivers was an awesome experience too. We had been in the river for an hour or so when we heard word that our French friend (who had foolishly decided it would be a good idea to bring his snowboard) had snowboarded into a rock and badly hurt himself and that there was a rescue team on its way. A group of 38 people turned out in force in the dark and in well below temperatures, to pull him off the mountain by sled (which took aprox. 3 hours). Whilst performing what was a death defying snow leap (alah sand dune style) earlier in the day, I had taken a blow to head on a hard patch of ice. The rescuers informed me it would require stitches and sent me along to the hospital with the Frenchy. Half an hour later we exited (by foot), myself with my first 3 stitches ever and the Frenchman with a bruised hip and pride.





Hope everything's still good back home.

P.S: YEAAAAAAA NBA

No comments:

Post a Comment