Saturday 19 November 2011

Drawing to a close...

I’ve just hit the one month to go mark. My flight to America has been booked (13th Dec) and my visa has been approved. I can’t really work out whether or not I’m happy my time here is coming to an end. I’ve met some fantastic people, seen some amazing scenery but the university and immigration have put a slight dampner on the trip. Last night I got an email 3 months into my course telling me that I wasn’t able to take the 1 paper I needed because I am a geology student and not a biology student. Seconds later I got another email from the woman “correcting” herself saying “Oh, I’m sorry for calling you a geology student when you’re actually a geography student”. That’s the final straw. Unfortunately it does however mean my ecology degree may have to be put on hold for a year or two.

This last weekend we went to Þingvellir with some of our female Icelandic friends. Was great to get away from Reykjavik for a night and Ella’s batch just above the lake with a 100million kr view was situated right in front of Bjorks summer house. Awesome. “The Giovanni” shuffle was arguably the highlight of the night and it will be taught in the states and on arrival back home. The next day we went on a mission to Eyjafjallajokull collecting soil samples for Ella’s project and gave Giovanni (Johannes) his first taste of KFC, even though the potato and gravy was just gravy. Basterds.

For those of you who keep asking, the light situation is rather dire and it makes getting out of bed for my two lectures a week a struggle. I wake up at 10am and it’s still dark and by 3pm the sun is well on its way down. At no stage does it get above the building line so its kind’ve like a permanent twilight. Rain still happens every day without fail and the temperature is pretty chilly although I’ve just been informed it’s the warmest November ever. In the next three weeks I will get up north to the second largest city of Akureyri so stay tuned for that instalment.

Last night after another science trip we went to the place Mt Eden Dubstep were playing. I knocked on the door half an hour before the concert was due to start and asked if I could talk to them. The bouncer disappeared back in side and shortly after returned with Jessie (one of the djs). I think we both enjoyed the company of a fellow kiwi after being from home for so long and he invited Jo and myself backstage to hangout! (and drink all their beers).

The sacrificial burning of my shoes was a rather large event (especially for those that have had to see me walking around bars in bare feet). Finally I can go outside without fear of rain.






Horse for dinner should be interesting!


Not a bad view out of the front door...



For you Americans; I am in need of some plans for new years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment